Monday, May 24, 2010

Wild leeks...and I'm not talking plumbing

The wild leeks are spreading their pungent toes across the woodland floor all over Pennsylvania right now. Although they’re currently carpeting the nearby state park, I’ve decided not to risk jail time or exorbitant fines in pursuit of the slightly garlicky alliums. Luckily, my father-in-law has a secret patch.

Its "a don’t ask, don’t tell" kind of arrangement. My husband goes to visit and comes home with brown bags full of green leaves and white bulbs. It always takes much longer to clean them than I expect, but once I taste their sharp, sweet goodness, I instantly remember why it really is worth the effort. Plus, I’m pretty much an utter failure at growing onions, so collecting this onion-like creature helps me feel a little better about that black spot on my otherwise green-thumb...

Come see me Over the Fence to read the rest of the post and get a tasty recipe for Wild Leek and Sausage Soup!

4 comments:

Tan Family said...

We love growing and picking leeks! We like to cook them in soups and eat raw in salads like onions. :)

Bluebirdbaby said...

Did you know these are called "ramps"? They are so delicious! We sell them at the co-op!

Unknown said...

Was just walking through bluebells and wild garlic (ramps) in the Glen O' the Downs here in County Wicklow the other day. They were "rampant"! And very beautiful! Must actually try and eat them. Are they good?

Amanda said...

They really are delicious! If you visit the Organic Gardening blog Over the Fence, I included a yummo recipe.