Monday, October 6, 2008

Putting up

I've been meaning to get this particular entry up for weeks now. We've picked, preserved, stewed, frozen and pickled some more over the last month. We're very far from ever putting up enough to tide us over until spring, but there is something comforting about having so much garden goodness glistening in jars and bags. There is something about the ritual that brings the summer to a sweet close and welcomes the fall in all it's warm (inside) and spicy crispness (outside).

Dad Evan's dill pickle recipe.

Elderberry currant apple preserves.
(I've missed the annual jelly-making activities at my mother's house the last few years. This year, she brought the whole process to mine. Berries picked by my father, juiced by my mother, and preserved by me.)

Tomatoes, garlic, leeks, basil, rosemary, and oregano
just waiting to be turned into sauce and jarred up.

This truly is my favorite time of year. The month of our marriage...the month of our first born. Today, in fact, is our anniversary and next week is the litte bear's second birthday. So much seems to begin in October, I can't help but celebrate. Autumn blessings to you all!

2 comments:

Alison Treat said...

So your due date was your anniversary? How cool! Todd and I started dating in October. It's my favorite time of year, too. But I am not nearly as ambitious as you with all the canning. Of course, I have a black thumb, so I'd have to buy or "borrow" all the veggies and fruits! Good for you!

Misty Forest Farm said...

Beautiful!
...and Happy Anniversary, and Happy (belated) birthday to Rowan!